Sport & Recreation
Wolfson has many different sports clubs and there are fitness classes throughout the week for members to participate in. Our sports facilities include a gym, sports field, squash, tennis, and basketball courts and access to the river Cherwell.
Open from 6.30am-11pm. We have a fully equipped sports room complete with running machines, cross trainers, a cycle machine, rowing machine, weights and lots more.
- We charge a small fee for an induction with a qualified trainer (currently £20 graduates and £30 others) and use of the Sports Room is then free.
- Entry via your University Card.
- Inductions are advertised all through the year with most being held at the beginning of each term. Sign up for gym inductions online.
- The room may only be used by members of the College and Common Room who have completed the induction training and completed a medical form to be returned to the Common Room Administrator. You cannot invite friends or personal trainers from outside the college to come and work out with you.
- There is a Gym Rep if you would like to contact someone about the Sports Room.
- There is also an Erg room in College.
Please see Fitness Guidelines PDF attached below.
This field is located behind M block and Catherine Marriott Building where football matches are played and with markings for hockey and a running track in the summer. Volleyball and cricket practices can sometimes be held here too.
These two courts are located beside the Robin Gandy Buildings. The courts are open 24 hours a day and should be booked via a folder in the Old Lodge. An online booking system will be available soon. The key should be signed out from the Lodge, which is open from 7am to 11pm daily. If you wish to play outside these times you should collect the key before closure. There is no charge to use the squash courts. There are showers and lockers which may be used by all members.
The multipurpose court (Tennis, Basketball and Netball)is located between Catherine Marriott Building and E blocks and is open from 9am - 9pm daily. Courts should be booked via a folder in the Old Lodge. The key should be signed out at the Lodge. There is no charge.
Our shared boathouse is situated along the River Thames.
We have a fleet of 6 punts which are available for use from April to October (weather permitting). These are moored in our own harbour and after applying for a punt permit from the Punt Club you will be able to book the punts. Learn more.
Bikes are one of the most common methods of transport for Wolfson members. Find out below about storing, hiring, and repairing bikes at Wolfson. Learn more.
There are sports lockers in the boathouse, which contain equipment for croquet, football, volleyball, cricket and keys are available from the Lodge.
Fitness Classes and Club Sports
Discover the different fitness classes and our roster of club sports available at Wolfson. Learn more.
Members are advised that they:
- Participate in sport at their own risk and as a matter of choice;
- Should read the risk assessments from the professional body for their sport on the University's Sports website and be aware of the good practice guide;
- Should attend the University's Sports Safety briefings for their sport;
- Should attend a University Sports First Aid Awareness Course.
High Profile Awards
The Social and Cultural Committee awards grants to support individual graduate students who are striving towards the peak of success in sports, music or the arts. The grants are up to £200 from the Common Room Fund. Learn more.
Situated behind the north car park in the college's gardens. A croquet set is available for use by members and located in a boathouse locker (key available from the Lodge).
The College's barbecue facilities are located beside the north car park. Please see the PDF below for rules regarding the BBQ.
Music Practice Rooms and Pianos
We have two small practice rooms, each containing an upright piano for the use of College members, located next to the Games Room. Booking sheets are held in the Old Lodge. We have two wonderful Grand Pianos and the one in the Hall is bookable, again via the Lodge. You must have a permit to use this piano. Please see the application for this below.
Wolfson College is privileged to have Professor Tarje Nissen-Meyer deliver the Annual London Lecture.
Wolfson College is honoured to announce that the winner of this year's competition was Andrew Wynn Owen for Lines of Decline.
Last term the College raised almost £25,000 to place an academic at risk and their family at Wolfson.