We at Wolfson are very excited to welcome His Holiness the Gyalwang Drukpa on...
Digital Research Cluster - events
Upcoming events hosted by the Digital Research Cluster
SUPERCOMPUTERS: WHAT ARE THEY AND WHAT CAN THEY DO FOR RESEARCH?
A joint seminar with the Oxford e-Research Centre
Tuesday 28 February 2017
Haldane Room, Wolfson College
Modern advances in the computing power of desktops and clusters may leave academics wondering whether supercomputers still serve a purpose for research. This seminar will bring together local experts in high-performance computing (HPC) from the Oxford e-Research Centre (http://www.oerc.ox.ac.uk/), Oxford University's Advanced Research Computing service (http://www.arc.ox.ac.uk/), and the Diamond Light Source facility at Harwell (http://www.diamond.ac.uk/) for an overview of what these machines are and what they can do for research across the whole range of academic disciplines.
The seminar will consist of a series of short presentations and discussion, followed by drinks and ending at 7 pm.
- Ian Bush (Oxford e-Research Centre), High Performance Computing - A Layman's Introduction
- Steven Young (Acting Head, Oxford University Advanced Research Computing), HPC services for Oxford researchers
- Wes Armour (Oxford e-Research Centre), HPC and Scientific Computing at the Oxford e-Research Centre
- Andrew Richards (Head of Scientific Computing, Diamond Light Source, Harwell), HPC and Synchrotron Science: Making Diamond Work – from operation to research
- David Robey (Wolfson and Oxford e-Research Centre) (convenor)
For further information contact David Robey (email@example.com).
We are delighted to announce that Wolfson Fellow, Dr Moritz Riede, was recently elected as Co-chair to the Global Young Academy (GYA) Council at...
Rosalind Rickaby, Professor of Biogeochemistry, is the 2017 recipient of the prestigious Lyell Medal, given by the Geological Society of London....