International Students

Wolfson's community includes students from over 70 different countries. Please see below for links to useful information and areas of support for international students.

New to Oxford and the UK?

The University of Oxford of has information for international students new to Oxford. Learn more.

Current International Students and Staff

Resources for staff and students who have joined Oxford. Learn more.

Visa and Immigration Support

From 5 October 2020, there are some new student immigration systems taking affect. Learn more.

The University has dedicated visa and immigration experts to assist you with information and advice on studying in the UK as an international student. Learn more.


The University understands that there are other questions to which many students, applicants and offer holders seek answers. The University has dedicated Brexit pages to provide you with the most up to date information. Learn more

Visa and immigration rules are changing for EU, EEA nationals and Switzerland (excluding Ireland). Learn more


Things are different at the moment, and we understand that this may be challenging at times. However, we are committed to ensuring your time at Oxford is as rewarding and fulfilling as possible, within the constraints of the pandemic. The University has dedicated Coronavirus pages to provide you with the most up to date information and advice. Learn more

Passport and visa/permit scanning

If you are entering the UK on a visa you must ensure that a scan of your passport and visa/Biometric Residence Permit card have been received by the college academic office at registration, and immediately every time you renew your passport and/or visa.

The requirement to collect your BRP within 10 days of arriving does not apply during the pandemic if you need to quarantine or if your flight is delayed. You must collect it as soon as you can after you have finished quarantine. You will receive information about this from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) in your country of application. 

Please note that we cannot register and enrol you on your course until you have had your documents checked and scanned. 

If you need to apply for a new visa, your CAS will be issued by your department. 

Police Registration

Students from some countries may have to register with the police local station. Full information may be found on the University's Registering with the police page.

Bank accounts

The University publishes an excellent guide on bank accounts in the UK, which can be downloaded from the International Students page (on the right-hand side of the page).

You will find that banks require several types of documentary evidence proving your identity and confirming your status as a student. This year most banks will open accounts online and many can accept uploaded documents as identity checks and proof of your student status. 

Once you have been enrolled on your course after college registration, you can download a copy of the University enrolment certificate which can be used to open a bank account and for council tax waiver purposes. To do this you will need to login to Student Self Service on the University website. You can email the certificate to the Academic Office ( Make sure to arrange this at least a day before your visit to the bank to make sure it is ready for you in time.

Helpful hint: make sure your home address is correct on the student database before downloading the certificate. Most banks will not accept a certificate for an international student where the home address is listed as being in the UK. 

Health care and the National Health Service (NHS)

For anyone coming to the UK for more than 6 months an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) is paid as part of a student visa application, including student dependants. The IHS must be paid even if you have your own private medical insurance and do not intend to use the NHS. Paying the IHS means that you will have access to the UK's National Health Service on the same basis as other UK residents.  

The IHS charge is £470 per year for visa applications made from late October 2020. Full details of how charging (and refunds) are administered are available on the Home Office website  

All students and their families should register with a doctor (usually called a general practitioner or GP in the UK) as soon as possible after arrival, and the services of a GP are free under the National Health Service (NHS). While you can register with any Oxford GP surgery accepting patients, Wolfson has an affiliation with a local GP surgery that is willing to provide treatment under the NHS for members of the College and their families who live in College accommodation or who are resident in central or North Oxford. The majority of Wolfson students register with this GP (also referred to as the College Doctor). Further information on the College Doctor and other medical information can be found in the Health and welfare section of the college website.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has a dedicated section on Health and Healthcare in the UK with lots of helpful information. 

Welfare and support

Moving to a new country is usually an exciting experience however it can also be challenging, both emotionally and logistically, adapting to a new environment. The following are links to some of the support available in Oxford. 

University Counselling Service - Providing support for students experiencing personal difficulties

Counselling Service podcast for international students - This podcast explores some of the emotional challenges faced by international students. It focuses on issues around coping with change, adapting to a new culture and language, and looks at some of the emotions that may emerge in the process of adjustment to a new environment. 

Wolfson welfare support - For confidential listening and advice, students can speak to any member of the college welfare team made up of the Senior Tutor, student welfare officers and student peer supporters. 

Oxford University Language Centre - The Language Centre runs courses in English such as academic writing and conversations skills. 

Oxford University Student Union - The Student Union represents all students at Oxford and provides support and services for home and international students alike.