Waste Disposal Policies

The College has developed a number of policies for the disposal of wastes, both environmental and hazardous. Its Hazardous Waste policies are intended to comply with the Hazardous Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2005 which came into effect on 16 July 2005.

The College registered with the Environment Agency on 17 June 2005 – Registration No NAJ141 (SIC code 80.30/2) – in accordance with the regulations.

The following schedule lists surplus and waste items, identifies a policy number and outlines that policy. Guidance for Members of College and staff is given along with any procedures to be followed.

The College is grateful for the input of its Environmental Officer in the development of these policies.

Environmental Wastes

Cookers E01

Accumulated in maintenance yard are cleared by recycling contractors EMR or others by the load.

College porters are responsible for the placing of these items in designated areas of the maintenance yard.

Glass E02

Bell bottle banks have been removed; City Council wheel bins in place in 3 locations.

Members of College and staff have access to these bins.

Paper E03

Newspapers E03 and Shredded E03

Paper skip in kitchen outhouse, Garford Road houses and North Car Park.

Members of College and staff have access to these bins.

Cans E04

Council wheel bins for cans are in place in 3 locations.

Members of College and staff have access to these bins.

Cardboard E05

The College has approached the City Council with a view to joining its Colleges’ Cardboard Recycling Scheme.

For the time being cardboard should be crushed and placed in the large Biffa ‘wheelie’ bins with the municipal waste.

Clothes E06

The College recommends the various charity shops to be found in local shopping centres. Some recyling centres provide skips.

The College makes no special provision for this waste.

Edible Oil & Fat E07

The College Chef maintains a contract with A&B Oils.

This contract is to be continued for the time being.

Furniture E08

For re-use E08.1

If condition is appropriate it is recommended that such items should be offered to charity shops, or advertised on websites such as Trash Nothing.The College cannot arrange for disposal of the personal furniture of members of College or staff.

Fabric Components E08.2

Metal Components E08.2

If furniture not suitable for charitable disposal, it is recommended that the item should be broken up and disposed of appropriately in municipal waste or maintenance yard skip or burned on head gardener’s bonfire as appropriate.

The House Manager will direct College porters on appropriate disposal.

Furniture (Wooden Components) E09

Dispose through garden bonfire compound.

The agreement of the Head Gardener should be sought on each occasion, and instructions followed.

Municipal Waste E10

Biffa waste bins are provided in the North Car Park, Kitchen loading area, Garford Road and Annex.

Members of College and staff have access to these bins.

Plastics E10

Disposal as Municipal Waste till City Council develop new strategy for collection.

Members of College and staff have access to these bins.

Green waste E11

Composting, bonfire or skip solutions managed by Head Gardener.

Allotment holders use composting facilities provided, but should not use College skips without the consent of the Head Gardener.

Hazardous Wastes

Aerosols H01

Batteries – small H01

Cleaners – corrosive; concentrate H01

Cleaners – irritant; concentrate H01

Paint – in part/un-used containers H01

Pesticide containers and concentrates H01

Toxic chemicals H01

Photographic and Dark Room chemical concentrates H01

Note: Thames Water Authority has confirmed that it does not require the College to hold a Certificate for the discharge of small amounts of diluted photographic waste liquids from manual wet benches [26 July 2005]

Individuals wishing to dispose of hazardous substances and spent containers may use the red ‘Haz Boxes’ which the College provides in the kitchen outhouse in the West Car Park and the covered cycle rack area in the east end of the North Car Park.

Any combination of the following wastes may be placed in the Haz Boxes: 

Aerosols, Alkaline Batteries, small Lead Acid Batteries, Lithium Batteries, Ni-Cd Batteries, NiMH Batteries, Acid Descalers, Photochemicals, Solvents, Thinners, small Toner Cartridges, Oil Filters, Oil Tins, Paints, Cleaning Chemicals, Adhesives, Caustic Soda, Resins and Contaminated Wipes Rags and Absorbents.

The ‘Haz Boxes’ should not be over-filled as lids have to be fitted and sealed before they are collected by Grundons. All liquids or compounds placed in these boxes should be in sealed containers clearly marked with the contents. The ‘Haz Box’ scheme is provided on a trial basis.

Members of College or staff wishing to dispose of hazardous chemicals other than through the Haz Box scheme should contact the Head Gardener or Facilities Manager before attempting any disposal.

Petroleum & Oils H02

Head Gardener operates a disposal scheme.

Members of College or staff wishing to dispose of petroleum or oils should contact the Head Gardener or Facilities Manager before attempting any disposal. The generation of such wastes on College property is strongly discouraged.

Batteries – Vehicle H04

A suitable designated location is provided in the maintenance yard; appropriate disposal will be arranged by maintenance staff.

Members of College or staff wishing to dispose of vehicle batteries should contact the Maintenance Supervisor before attempting any disposal. The abandonment of batteries on College property is strongly discouraged.

Electronic H05

Computer equipment H05

Televisions Radios etc H05

Faulty/untested electrical equipment H05

Such equipment will be taken by arrangement with IT/Maintenance Department staff and stored for periodic disposal through approved recyclers.

A suitable location is provided for such storage in the maintenance yard but should only be accessed by approved staff.

Toner and Ink Cartridges H06

Toners kits etc should be placed in the storage area in the photocopy room behind the Lodge.

The Lodge Supervisor is responsible for disposal of these items into an appropriate recycling scheme.

Appliance H07

Refridgerators H07

Microwave ovens H07

These are accumulated in a designated area of the maintenance yard by College porters and are cleared through recyclers such as EMR by the load, along with cookers.

Fluorescent Tubes H08

Tubes are collected in batches by the replacement supplier for disposal under an exchange scheme.

The maintenance supervisor is responsible for this scheme.

New Hazardous Waste

In the event of a new hazardous waste being identified contact should be made with the Maintenance Supervisor or Facilities Manager to seek advice on disposal.

The College is always prepared to consider appropriate and cost-effective provision of recycling schemes.