Wolfson congratulates Aamer Sarfraz on his appointment by The Queen as a member of the House of Lords.
COVID Secure events
The safety of our community and guests is our top priority. This plan ensures that people are protected, to the highest possible level, while meetings and events are being held. This plan is based on Government guidance and completed H&S Risk Assessments, and we will continue to update it as guidance changes.
Virtual Meetings and Events
Online meetings, video conferencing and live event streaming
Currently, only virtual meetings and events are allowed to take place. However, to assist students and fellows in attending or organising virtual meetings or events, we will make rooms at the College available for individual use: to make a booking for one of these rooms, please email the Events office at firstname.lastname@example.org.We have recently upgraded the audio-visual equipment in the 3 seminar rooms, and this will make it easy for you to “plug in” and go – however, any assistance you need can be obtained, in the first instance, from the Events Office.
You may wish to make use of seminar rooms to join on-line meetings or to record and distribute/stream your own lecture or event.
In-Person Meetings and Events
Once Government guidance allows for meetings and events to resume in-person, we will start to reintroduce such events and meetings at College, using the following procedures to ensure everyone’s safety.
So far, social distancing has proved to be the best way to stop the spreading of the infection.New rooms capacity allowing for 2m distance between participants in all directions have been set below for each meeting room. We recognise that the Government might issue further advice allowing more people to use each meeting space in the future; however this is the maximum people allowed per room at the moment. Signage reminding people to keep distance are in place around the College. The AV equipment available in the Seminar Rooms will allow you to stream your event to other rooms in the college, so that it is possible to hold an event in several rooms at once to ensure that social distance can be maintained – further details are available from the Events Office.
|Seminar Room 1,2,3||6||5|
|Coffee, PDR, Florey||6||5|
Frequent sanitisation of all meeting rooms’ surfaces including door handles, light switches and AV equipment is taking place. The minimum frequency is before and after each event. In addition, a hand sanitiser and cleaning wipes are provided complimentary in each meeting room. Both products have been certified to kill bacteria and viruses, and have been accepted as effective measure against Coronavirus in particular.
All air conditioning systems have been cleaned and serviced to ensure they are operating at an optimum level. Mechanical ventilation adjustments have been made within the College Auditorium, in line with industry guidance, to increase outside air intake 7 days a week and prevent any recirculation of internal air whilst the area is in use. All of our meeting rooms include natural daylight and allow windows and/or doors to be open. Our advice to all events organisers is to keep those open as much as possible and during break times as a minimum. We vent all rooms as part of our cleaning routine before and after each event.
Complimentary parking is available on site; however, spaces are limited. Please discuss your parking requirements with our events sales team as part of your booking process. We have taken steps to make all College public areas as secure as possible, these include wearing a face cover in shared indoor spaces, easy access to hand sanitiser, health and safety signage and the installation of screens in key locations around the College such as the Lodge, Hall and Café.
To protect our clients as well as staff, we have designed a ‘contactless events’ delivery, which includes:
- Details of your event are agreed and communicated in advance.
- Sanitised room key is placed in a sealed envelope with your event name on table in the Lodge.
- Welcome Pack including schedule of your event, relevant user and health and safety information, as well as information how to contact your Event Host, is placed in the room prior your arrival.
- Event Host is available to contact through a mobile phone/WhatsApp/Messenger application at all times.
- Refreshment are provided individually portioned and in a separate designated space, avoiding unnecessary contact with team members.
- Where some contact is necessary additional measures such as social distancing, screens and PPE are used to minimise the risk for all parties.
Safe delivery of catering services
Several suitable catering areas have been identified around the College to be used during your event:
- Our purpose built ‘Buttery’ with professional hot and cold counters, one way movement system and plenty of indoor and outdoor space allowing for social distancing.
- Café and Private Dining Room adjoining meeting rooms allowing for one-way movement system and plenty of natural light and ventilation.
- The Haldane room also allowing for one way movement system and social distancing.
To ensure the safe delivery of catering services we have made the following arrangements:
- All catering is arranged in advance
- All food and drink is supplied in individual sealed containers
- Food and drink are delivered in advance in a designated catering space away from the meeting in progress or other guests and members of the College.
- One-way system with a provision for a social distance is employed to ensure the safety of the delegates during their conference break.
- Suitable space allowing for social distance is available to use during the break or delegates return to the main meeting space following collection of food and beverages.
- Where some contact with our team is required, screens and PPE are used to minimise the risk for all parties.
To ensure the wellbeing of our team and guests, we have followed strictly the government guidelines on ensuring that all team members are fit for work and symptoms free.All our team members are asked to complete fitness for work questionnaires on return to work and are obliged to report any worrying symptoms to their line supervisor/manager immediately. Our teams follows the usual high standards for personal hygiene while on duty and have access to the same enhanced sanitisation materials as our guests throughout the day.
Requesting additional catering service on the day
We recognise that despite our best efforts, things often change on the day in terms of timings or requirements for catering, such as unknown food allergy for example. To communicate this please contact your Event Host via the channels mention above. Our team will do their best to meet any reasonable requests made on the day of the event.
Wolfson College has number of bedrooms available for renting during the summer period and throughout the academic year. To ensure the safety of all parties we have made the following arrangements for booking and using accommodation in the College.
- Rooms are booked and paid for on the Wolfson College website in advance. To make a booking please follow the link. https://www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk/node/905
- Room keys are collected contactless from the lodge. Room keys are sanitised and placed in a sealed envelope.
- Rooms are cleaned, sanitised and ventilated, as usual after each letting. Additional ventilation and sanitisation of frequently used surfaces as door handles and light switches is taking place on the day before the rooms are occupied again.
- Ambient pre-packaged breakfast pack would be placed in your room prior arrival if you have booked a breakfast for your stay. In room, tea and coffee making facilities are also available.
In England you can meet outdoors in a group of up to 6 people with those you do not live with, but you should do this while observing social distancing guidelines and keeping at least 2 metres apart. The College has plenty of outdoor/garden space, which we encourage you to use. Please click here for more details on meeting outdoors.
We will resume a private dining service when the Government allows us to do so, and will follow the above principles to ensure safety at all times.
7 August 2020Aamer Sarfraz appointed to the House of Lords5 August 2020Professor George Smith Honoured by Royal Society
Congratulations to Professor George Smith, FRS, who has been awarded the Armourers & Brasiers' Company Prize 20208 July 2020Refurbishment of the balcony
This project has been given the go-ahead as part of the Estates Strategy to improve our College buildings and environment.
Parties and Dinners12 - 12Sep SepDegree DaySaturday 12 September - 11:00am to 3:30pm
Preceding the degree ceremony in the Sheldonian Theatre at 14:30, the College hosts the Signing of the Graces and a celebratory reception for our graduands and their family and friends. This event is by invitation only; please see the degree days page on our website for further information.Lectures and Seminars05 - 05Nov NovMargaret Oliphant and OxfordThursday 5 November - 1:30pm
Merryn Williams is a poet and critic. Her latest works are The Fragile Bridge: New and Selected Poems (Shoestring Press) and Mansfield Park Revisited (Plas Gwyn Books). At present she is collecting poems about the pandemic and the lockdown. Merryn is a long-standing member of Wolfson's Common Room.