The College is closed from Fri 22 Dec to Wed 3 Jan 2018. Please see below for specific college and university facilities opening hours and contact information for the holidays.
If you have an enquiry over the holidays please contact the Lodge. Open: Mon–Sun 8:00–23:00. Our Night Porter is available during the evenings. There will be periods when the desk will be unmanned on Christmas and Boxing Day.
Last trip leaving Wolfson will be on Thur 21 Dec, 14:00. The service will start up on Wed 3 Jan 2018 at 9:00.
Food in Hall
Last meal served in the Hall before the break will be Brunch on the Thur 21 December. Food will be served next on Wed 3 Jan 2018.
You will be able to access the library with your University Card over the break.
Last office day is Thur 21 Dec, 12:00. Open again: Wed 3 Jan 2018.
Last office day is Thur 21 Dec, 12:00. Open again Wed 3 Jan 2018, 8:30.
Other College Facilities
The East Common Room and the Common Room will remain available for use. The Gym, Squash Courts and Music Room will be open. Keys can only be collected when the Lodge is open. The Grand Piano in the Hall is sadly not available.
Welfare Officers Events
If you are staying in Oxford during winter vacation and feeling homesick, please join us in celebrating Christmas and New Year's! We will be having potlucks (everyone brings and shares food & drink) on both days and continuing the celebration on NYE at the bar. Please go here to read the details and formally register your interest.
- The University Offices, Examination Schools and most other central offices are closed from 17:00, Wednesday 21 December until 9:00, Tuesday 3 January 2017.
- The submissions desk at the Examination Schools will also be closed during this period. If you intend to submit work during this period by post or deposit in the Examination Schools post box, you will not obtain proof of submission.
- Student Information will be closed during this period. Enquiries will be dealt with in early January 2018.
- Health services will be available over the Christmas period, but with more limited service.
- NHS out-of-hours medical and dental service
- In an emergency call 999.
- For non-emergency services call 111 or 01865 515731, open throughout the Christmas period. Your call will be answered by a Call Centre who will triage your enquiry, and you will be contacted by an on-call GP. More information on out-of-hours services in Oxfordshire.
- Guide to NHS Services
- NHS Choices Website Search
Pharmacies will work on a rota during the holiday period, and the following central pharmacies will be open at variable times over the holiday period. Call 111 for information about opening times.
- Cowley Pharmacy, 258 Cowley Road
24 December, 7:00 –21:00; 25 December, 10:00 – 18:00; 26 December, 12:00 – 18:00; 1 January 2018, 12:00 – 18:00.
- Woodstock Road Chemist, 59 Woodstock Road
24 December, 9:00 –18:30; 25 December, closed; 26 December, closed; 31 December, 9:00 – 18:30; 1 January 2018, closed.
Sexual health and contraception
- Emergency contraception is available at pharmacies.
- Oxfordshire Sexual Health Service will operate a limited service over the vacation. Please refer to their website or call 111 for opening hours.
Advice and support
- Oxford University Counselling Service: Closed from 13:00, 21 December until 8:00, 3 January 2018.
- Nightline (01865 270270): Closed Monday 11 December to Monday 8 January.
- Samaritans: Open 24 hours throughout Christmas and New Year. Call: 116 123, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If English is not your first language, the Samaritans also provide support for non-English speakers.
- Further details of emergency and help service contacts visit the Help page of the Oxford Students website.
Places of worship
Attending a traditional Christmas church service or carols can be an interesting way to experience British traditions but there are also many other religious places to worship in Oxford. A selection of places of worship in Oxford:
- Woodstock Road Baptist Church, Baptist
- St Ebbe’s Church, Church of England
- St Aldate’s Church, Church of England
- Wesley Memorial Church, Methodist
- Holy Trinity Oxford, Greek Orthodox
- The Oxford Oratory, Roman Catholic
- Blackfriars, Roman Catholic
- Oxford University Catholic Chaplaincy, Roman Catholic
- Oxford Buddha Vihara, Buddhist
- Oxford Hindu Temple, Hindu
- Central Oxford Mosque, Muslim
- Oxford Jewish Congregation, Jewish
Other activities in and around Oxford
- Oxford University Sport (gym and swimming pool), Iffley Road: Closed from 23 December 2017 - 06:00, 2 January 2018.
- Theatres and cinema: Most theatres and cinemas are open over the Christmas period; however, they are closed on Christmas day itself.
- Shops, supermarkets, restaurants and pubs: Most shops and supermarkets will have reduced hours and nearly all shops will be closed on Christmas Day. For supermarkets open around Christmas, please check individual store websites.
- Some restaurants and pubs are open on Christmas day, but many require booking or are only open for drinks.
Holiday Contact Information
- The Lodge: 01865 274100
- Emergency services (Fire, Ambulance, Police): 999
- Police non-emergency: 101
- NHS non-emergency number: 111
- Samaritans: 01865 722122
- Please note that the GP surgery is closed 24 Dec – 2 Jan 2018