The Oxford Centre for Life-Writing (OCLW)
Become a member by joining our e-mailing list, and keep informed with all our events, activities and opportunities. Find us on Twitter and Facebook; follow our blog; discuss life-writing on our discussion board.
From the ancient Greeks to the modern publishing world, the writing of lives has been of perennial fascination. Scientists, soldiers, scholars, politicians, writers and artists, ordinary men and women: life-writing is among the richest and most varied of genres. The Oxford Centre for Life-Writing (OCLW) at Wolfson College encourages those who write biography and memoir, and those who undertake research on existent life-narratives.
A Home for Life-Writing
OCLW's base at Wolfson College, Oxford, provides a natural home for life-writing. The college's President, Hermione Lee, is an eminent biographer, and several other members of the Governing Body work in life-writing and related disciplines. The college hosts an annual series of Life-Writing lectures and an annual Life-Stories Day, involving auto/biographical presentations from many of the college’s students and Fellows. There is also a lively Life-Stories Society.
Funding and Collaboration
The website contains information about:
Who we are: OLCW's Advisory Committee and Members.
- Forthcoming events (including talks, lectures, the Weinrebe Series of Lectures in Life-Writing, conferences and symposia, seminars and workshops).
- Our events archive, with details and descriptions of past talks.
- Our Podcast Archive: a sound archive of events taking place at OCLW between its foundation in October 2011 and the present day.
- News about life-writing, and our progress here at OCLW
- Forthcoming study opportunities at OCLW, including Research Fellowships, Scholarships and Postgraduate Studentships, and Visiting Scholarships and Studentships.
- Resources, including a life-writing bibliography, and links to other organisations involved in life-writing.
- OCLW on Facebook, Twitter, and other useful pages to bookmark.
- The Life-Stories Society and Wolfson's annual Life-Stories Day.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to contact us. If your query hasn't been answered by visiting our FAQ page, then please visit the contact page to ask us directly.