The auction will go live on 3 June 2020, offering a chance to bid for some fantastic lots and to raise much needed...
Lorne Thyssen Research Fund for Ancient World Topics
The fund supports the work of members of Wolfson College working on any aspect of the Ancient World. Members of Common Room may apply, but preference is given to Fellows and Students.
Funded activities include, but are not limited to:
- Research grants (these are meant to supplement existing research, but not to fund whole new projects) (up to £3000, collaborative projects involving more than one member of the Ancient World Cluster at Wolfson college up to £5000).
- Seed-corn funds to explore potential research projects, start up new projects, and for work related to securing further funds (up to £3000, collaborative projects involving more than one member of the Ancient World Cluster at Wolfson college up to £5000).
- Workshops, conferences, and colloquia organized by Fellows or Students of the College and held at Wolfson (up to £2000 for projects involving more than one member of college, but at least one Fellow; for all other projects, up to £1200).
- Participation in national as well as international conferences, workshops, colloquia, or academic exchanges, with a paper, poster or other activity (up to £1000 for Fellows, up to £400 for Students; those without access to other College funding will also be eligible for the higher amount).
- Field work (up to £1200).
- Support for publication of scholarly work (up to £2000)
- Academic development activities (eg. skills-based courses)
How to apply
Applications should be made using the template at the bottom of this page. Please type and send it to Dr Diana Rodríguez Pérez at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Application_Lorne Thyssen Research Fund” by the end of the 3rd week of each term. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged by email usually within two business days. Applications are considered at the Steering Committee meeting in week 6 of each term and a decision will be communicated by email shortly after. APPLICATIONS MUST BE MADE BEFORE EVENT TAKES PLACE
All applications should include a cover letter (ie. description of activity) and budget. References should be provided for grants over £1000. Graduate students should arrange for a letter of supervisor's academic support for the proposed activity. A CV for all applicants except Fellows (of any kind). Applicants for grants above £1000 should display intent of applying to other sources.
Recipients should submit a short report on their work or how the grant assisted their work within 12 months of receiving the award. We strongly encourage recipients to ensure that both the name of Wolfson College and the source of the particular grant (Lorne Thyssen Research Fund for Ancient World Topics at Wolfson College) features prominently in any publications or publicity resulting from the research enabled by the grant.
Go here for a list of previous grants.
20 May 2020Wolfson to raise money for students with a digital auction14 May 2020Oxford Sparks releases animation to explain process of changing plant chloroplasts
Last year Professor Paul Jarvis and his team published their...6 May 2020Dr Susan Walker awarded Leverhulme Emeritus Fellowship
Congratulations to Dr Susan Walker, Emeritus Fellow of Wolfson College, who has been awarded a Leverhulme Emeritus Fellowship.
Parties and Dinners01 - 01Aug AugDegree DaySaturday 1 August - 11:00am to 3:30pm
Preceding the degree ceremony in the Sheldonian Theatre at 14:30, the College hosts the Signing of the Graces and a celebratory reception for our graduands and their family and friends. This event is by invitation only; please see the degree days page on our website for further information.Parties and Dinners07 - 07Aug AugDegree DayFriday 7 August - 11:00am to 3:30pm
Preceding the degree ceremony in the Sheldonian Theatre at 14:30, the College hosts the Signing of the Graces and a celebratory reception for our graduands and their family and friends. This event is by invitation only; please see the degree days page on our website for further information.